Preliminary Recommendations for Recovery and Budget Actions in 2020-2021
This Green Budget Coalition document provides a comprehensive package of timely recommendations, focused on job creating investment opportunities, while also addressing tax measures, foundational environmental funding, and re-aligning Canada’s economic and fiscal policy structures, and touches further on green strings below.
For 2020-21, the Green Budget Coalition is featuring the following four transformative, investment opportunities with the potential to create new jobs and accelerate progress in addressing the climate and biodiversity crises:
- Stimulus investments to boost clean transportation industries – creating jobs while reducing Canada’s leading source of emissions
- Building retrofit jobs – Investments to reduce emissions
- Nature-based climate solutions
- Conservation and Protected Areas, including Indigenous Protected Areas and Guardian programs
We further outline in this document many complementary recommendations with the potential to create jobs and advance long-term environmental sustainability, including:
- Further transformative large-scale investments in renewable and decentralized energy, transit, restoration, and natural infrastructure;
- Smaller job-intensive investments including existing Great Lakes programs, wildlife collision mitigation infrastructure, and supporting a reduced reliance on single-use plastic and expansion of the cyclic economy;
- Renewing and improving other existing foundational programs such as environmental enforcement, the Chemicals Management Plan, Pest Management Regulatory Agency, fisheries and oceans management, international climate finance, regional-scale governance, and First Nations water infrastructure;
- New initiatives to support sustainable agriculture, freshwater, Canadian Water Agency, and environmental data and science.
Implementing these Green Budget Coalition recommendations would lead to transformative progress in advancing a healthier, safer future for Canadians from coast to coast to coast.